Bagni di Petriolo
Bagni di Petriolo are located in the land of the Ombrone basin, along the Farma river, in the homonymous part Nature Reserve, about 30km from Siena, next to the town of Monticiano (Siena) where are situated the Baths and the municipality of Civitella Paganico (Grosseto) which the hamlets of Pari and Castel di Pari are the closest towns to the location.
A rare example of a fortified thermal estabilishment, the Baths are composed of an average of six meters high walls, three towers and doors that surround a hectare of land, which includes a church building on the higher floor and a lodge on the lower floor (river bank level).
The Restoration Project
The project of the Bagni di Petriolo was born in 2015 by the initiative of Italia Nostra Association and UnipolSai, owner of the area. The first step of the project started with a plan for the feasibility, restoring and enhancement of the place, also with the active collaboration of the local community. The project has begun in the 2016 and ended up in 2018.
La Locanda di Petriolo
The lofty, whose original nucleus dates back to the eighteenth century, has undergone over time transformation of the structure, both on the top and in height. The discontinuities of the walls and the different building materials used, together with the comparison of the historical maps with those of the I.G.M (Military Geographic Institute) of 1907 and 1941 allowed to identify four diferent phases of life of the Locanda.
Not far from the walls, near the road that led to one of the entrances to the defensive circuit, stand an ancient isolated building traditionally called “ Locanda di Petriolo”. The layout of the building and its position with respect to the road axis allow us to assume, with a high degree of certainty, that from the beginning the construction has a receptive vocation.
In the second half of the seventeenth century, Petriolo was in a deep state of decay, from an report of that time it is clear that the only property intended for the accommodation of the users of the spa was an unidentified inn. In 1713 the management of the structure had both the pools and a large building in the Inn because the distance of the building described by the church of Santa Maria is similar to the distance that separates our accommodation from the church itself.